Saturday, March 2, 2019

Private John Naramore, CSA

Union guard at Strawberry Plains bridge.
John Naramore, my great-great-grandfather, enlisted in the 43rd Alabama Infantry (CSA) in 1861 in Tuscaloosa.  He was discharged in 1862 for disability (further details unknown?) but reenlisted in October 1863.  (Luckily for him, he just missed the Battle of Chickamauga.)  Several of his brothers, brothers-in-law, and other relatives and neighbors from the small community of Mud Creek were enlisted in the 43rd.  The 43rd was involved in some battles over several important railway bridges in East Tennessee.  One of these, the Strawberry Plains Bridge, over the Holston River, was where John was taken prisoner, on December 4, 1863. 
Pier from old Strawberry Plains bridge, next to new bridge.
He died of typhoid fever in the Knoxville military prison's hospital on Jan. 19, 1864, and was buried in an unmarked grave, with a card bearing his name, rank, and company, in the "city cemetery", which is believed to be the Old Gray Cemetery.  The winter was particularly tough on the survivors, and Longstreet's campaign has been called the "Valley Forge of the Civil War".

This week, I visited Knoxville and was able to locate where the old bridge stood.  There is a newer railroad bridge there, but two of the stone piers that supported the bridge are still standing.  I also drove and walked around Old Gray Cemetery, but I was unable to find any sign of some unknown Confederate graves.  Incidentally, Old Gray Cemetery was one of the first "garden cemeteries" in the US and was named for English poet Thomas Gray, who wrote Elegy in a Country Churchyard.

 The 43rd was involved in the siege of Petersburg and the Battle of the Crater there, and surrendered at Appamattox.

Old Gray Cemetery, Knoxville
Further reading: http://digital.archives.alabama.gov/cdm/compoundobject/collection/voices/id/7159
This link relates the following anecdote.  A Federal captain was released by General Gracie of the 43rd, with a note to General Sheridan, who he had known from West Point and from being stationed together in the west.  "Dear Phil:  I have got you, so come in."  The reply was sent back, "Dear Archie:  Oh no, you must come and get me first."  [It is amusing that old friends could write such banter in the midst of such death and suffering, but it also makes the deaths that much more tragic.]


Holston River.

New Strawberry Plains rail bridge, with pier from old bridge.

13 comments:

  1. Melissa Narmore is buried at Mhoontown c.i know where she buried,and about when.melissa RAY,SOME SAY RAYE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to put a tomb stone their someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, I thought I replied here earlier but it did not post. I would be excited to learn where Melissa Narmore is buried. I also would like to hear more about what you know of her maiden name. I have it recorded as Wray but I can't find any written source for it in any documents and I don't know who I got that information from. I sent you an email also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand corrected,It is Wray
    .my records show shes from ARKANSAW. I'M NOT FISCIALY ABLE TO TRAVEL AS OF NOW,I LIVE IN ST.PETE FL,25YRS
    ARKANSASS WAS SPELLED WRONG ABOVE.JONN WAS THE FATHER OF WM. NELSON,MY GG GRANDPA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wm.Nelson bro.to levi.wm. moved to Lebanon Ok. 1913 in a covered wagon,fromCHEROKEE AL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wm.Nelson was the father of my Aunt Edna Bentley Narmore. She said her dad told her that he left home,John,and never returned.He was 12yrs.old,b.1846. He was the father of my grandpa Mark.myGG grandpa live at the old Rutland are Rutledge place? I know where it's at.Mark 1st. Cousin to Henry,Levi etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Narmore b.1822,al,wife Melissa Raye,Arkansas buried at Mhoontown,Cherokee,unmarked,I know where its at.No able to travel yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clay,you've done a really good job on Narmore Genology.I guess Ms.Blankenship was a teacher in Cherokee the best of my memory.I was kinda young then.Im 65.I believe Joseph to be the father to John.Josephs father was John sc,tn 1762.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I will call you sometime.You can tex.me at 352 270 4587,please no calls for now Thanks.Garu Narmore

    ReplyDelete
  10. How could John be your G.G.Grandfather? He was my G. Grandfathers Dad
    Wm. Nelson,your off of his bro's side LEVI BRO. TO JOHN.

    ReplyDelete